Saturday, July 10, 2010

The packing has commenced...and will continue...

Finally the packing has begun around here. I finally got a handle on the clothes for Avery today. I actually had to take pieces of paper write the date on them and where we are going to be on that day (whether in her province or Guangzhou) and spread them out on our bed, and then proceeded to put her outfits together and place them on the days. I will have to do this at least 2 more times to weed out some more, but I'm getting there. I  needed to be able to see the days one at a time instead of the piles on the floor, it made it a lot easier. Plus, I wanted to be able to re-use and coordinate clothes so we could mix and match within the 12 days. It worked well, but as I said I will do it again tomorrow, and weed out some more. I will probably do this with my clothes also, so I don't over pack for me, the lighter the better!

We finally figured out the gifts we are going to take with us. They are really neat, and now I am just wondering how many we really need to take, again, the lighter the better. Still mulling this one over. 

We still have piles of things everywhere but it is starting to look better. I have to work this week and so does Gary as usual, so we would really like everything pretty much together by Monday evening. If the weather this week is anything like it was last week, really unbearable, the studio will be really hot again and I'm useless when I get home after work on days like that. I am remembering to drink my water though, about 6 glasses and 2 powerades a day up there. At least I 'm staying hydrated, we know how well I handle the heat-not! But as everyone has told me lately, it's just getting me ready for China, as it is really hot and humid there now, worse than here.

We looked at our hotels that we will be staying at in China, they are fabulous!! They look like the hotels you see on the Vegas strip-seriously!! In Changsha we are staying at the Dolton Hotel. In Guangzhou we are staying at the Garden Hotel. At first I was a little disappointed we were not staying at the White Swan Hotel in Guangzhou. If you know anything about China adoptions, the White Swan is "famous". The pictures of the children on the red couches, you hear and read about the history of that tradition, and I really wanted Avery's picture on one of their red couches. But after seeing the Garden Inn, and reading about it, and our agency has 2 families that just got back yesterday from China, and they have raved about the hotel- I'm fine with it. We'll create our own traditions while we're there. Then hopefully when we go back to adopt for a 2nd time we can stay there again in Guangzhou and re-create it with our 2nd daughter (yes, we plan on doing this over again, Avery will need a sibling, a sister, and we hope to start the next one in 2011 at some point, another special needs child).

I had a very productive day yesterday. I talked to our pediatrician to get the low down on how to treat Avery if she gets sick while we are there. Being first time parents, we are a little nervous. If she has a fever, diarrhea, and what to do, and how much, and what to take etc. Dr. O is great!!  I also got her 1st pediatricians appt. set up for when we get home. It's on the 3rd of August- yes, another 3! I then talked to our doctor and they did give both of us a prescription of Cipro in case we get sick while we are there. Tomorrow we start our malaria medicine regimen. Can't believe in almost 6 days we will be there!!! Gary and I now just look at eachother and grin, and giggle, that's how excited we are!!

I will post more tomorrow and give more detail on our itinerary. Still a lot to do, but having fun doing it, and can't wait to go!!

We know that there are a lot of people following us on our blog. Please leave us comments, would love to hear from you. Even if it's just a hey or hello!!

Thanks for reading...more to come!!  :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you have everything under control! Can't wait to follow the trip!
Kelly
www.raudenbushfamily.blogspot.com
www.jiayindesigns.com

Gary and Allison said...

Thanks Kelly!! It seems like we have things under control, but we are so excited, I can't sleep. Plus, I'm nervous, and so is Gary, whether we admit it or not.

We still have a ton to do.

But thanks for all your tips on traveling!!

I'm glad to everyone else we look like we're organized and just about ready to go!! We're getting there, and I'm used to be organized for all of our shows so that helps!!

Thanks,
~Allison :)

Anonymous said...

Gary & Alli,

Take lots of pics so we can see everything. Will the second adoption go faster because you are starting out on the special needs list? I hope so. Praying for Avery to be with you SOON.

Love, Heather

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you guys my husband and I have been reading and praying for you both!! we too plan to adopt and though we are not ready yet(we havent been married long enough to qualify)we are glad that you let us watch in anticipation and prayer for you

Anonymous said...

Great idea to talk to Dr O before your trip. It's so good to be prepared for anything! You will be a great mom!
Kristin

Anonymous said...

Alli & Gary,

My husband & I couldn't be more happier for you two. Your long wait has finally come to an end and soon you'll get to have your little girl in your arms, how exciting :D. Looking forward to reading more about your trip and seeing pics...

RMC