Friday, July 23, 2010

Our Friday

Ni Hao!!

Today was another good day. A little testy in the morning after breakfast, but Avery was still tired. Her schedule got screwed up the day before due to our sightseeing. She missed her nap, and went to bed 90 minutes late due to us skypeing with family. She was all hopped up after we talked to both sets of parents, and siblings. She's quite the entertainer when we talk to everyone. She's waving, and blowing kisses, and showing off, just like she should be...she fits in just fine!! :)

Today was another sight seeing day but we told our guide that we didn't want to be gone long, so we could get her back on schedule. So, we went to another park with a lot of the old China architecture in it. A lot of pagodas, and Fu dogs, and an old castle wall in it. I have to say I enjoy the sightseeing but really am more concerned about Avery when we are out. It is 98 degrees and up outside, and I want to always make sure she is hydrated, and feeling okay. So the sightseeing does get a little lost on me. I'd rather pay attention to our daughter... obviously.

We ate lunch with our guide today at the "Western" buffet in the hotel. Yes, he was eating the snake parts, and he was chowing down some duck tongue. I think my face was a little horrified when I looked over to see what he had. I didn't mean to but I was feeding Avery and turned and there it all was. He said, "You can try", I said, "No, I don't think so, thank you". Gary goes she has a big problem with snakes anyway, so "Smile" covered up his plate with his hand, and laughed. He's quite a card, he's been a lot of fun and has taken good care of us while in province. We're giving him an NDC t-shirt for his gift. It works out great because it looks as if he collects t-shirts. He has a different one with writing on it or a character on it everyday. Yesterday for example, he was wearing a Popeye t-shirt.

Big strides with Miss Avery today! She is walking, no, running just about with Mommy's help still, but you should se her go now!! Won't be long until she doesn't need help, she is certainly little miss independent!! Avery sat in the highchair at dinner tonight-YAY!!!! We've been trying all week, but she would scream or yell or whine and carry on so it wasn't worth the looks at dinner. But tonight she was walking into dinner, and of course she was the star!! She sat on my lap, and when they brought the food out I put her plate in front of the highchair, and then put her in it, she started to whine but I fed her right from her plate and she stayed-GOOD JOB AVERY!!!!

Oh and when she got to her table at dinner, she was giggling and walking and went to Gary's knee and put her head down on it. We're getting there... She is opening little by little to Daddy. She is still a Mommy's girl, but we're working on it day by day!!

Had a problem today trying to cash travelers checks. The hotels won't cash them unless the signatures are identical, and I mean identical!! All of our spending money is in traveler's checks. "Smile" took us to the bank of China, and we got half of them exchanged. But I had to sign my name on documents about 8 times, and you didn't know why. I found going to the Bank of China very uncomfortable. I feel like that a lot here. There are armed guards all over the place, and it's very disconcerting. But we got them changed so thats what mattered...

Another big deal is Avery went in the Baby Bjorn carrier today!! Thank goodness because there was no way I could have carried her up and down all the stairs and hills today without the carrier. Plus, we needed to get her in it before we fly tomorrow, I need to have my hands free to help carry luggage and to deal with the boarding pass and passport.

We received our official paperwork today, and Avery's Chinese passport- really neat! Hope we get to keep it. We got some other things today thanks to our guide but I'll save that for when we get home!!

Avery is such a happy baby!! She has the cutest smile, that melts our hearts. She has the "Hunan" temper that's for sure- thank goodness for snacks (bribes)-lol But she brings such joy to our lives. We can't wait for everyone to meet our little Hunan girl!!

Tomorrow morning we fly to Guangzhou and will be there for 5 days. We come home on Thursday!

Pray that Avery handles flying well, this will be the first of 4 flights we will take with her. Hopefully she will sleep.

Talk to you next from Guangzhou!!

Love,
Allison, Gary & Avery

5 comments:

Christa Bertram said...

I Love hearing about the progress in Avery's bonding and development. Walking?! Wow!! Good luck flying. I'll keep todays comment short, I promise. Just want to wish you luck and blessings.
Yes, I did get to keep Luke's visa (Passport). Don't know if it will be the same. Have a great day!

Unknown said...

Enjoy your last bit of time in her province--I can't wait to return to Lydia's and really enjoy it. I too was so distracted by caring for her that I didn't really get to enjoy the area to the fullest. Next time! Enjoy your time in Guangzhou--you'll like connecting with other families there.

Has anyone noticed your charm?

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Good luck with the flying. FYI...US security always asked me to take Jake out of the Bjorn, carry him through the metal detector, and put the carrier through the xray. It was such a pain (especially when he was sleeping) because I never had enough hands with the bags, stroller, etc. Not that it's impossible, but just a heads up in case you and Gary want to hvae a game plan should it happen. Your so close to coming home - exciting! I'm glad she is warming up to Gary. It sounded so precious when you described how she layed her head on Gary's knee at dinner. What an angel! ~Kristin

Anonymous said...

Alli,
Thank you for sharing your journey with us I have been reading everyday. It is wonderful to read about this chapter in your family history Avery will love these "stories" when she is older.
Kelly

Unknown said...

Hope the flights go well. I've never flown with Ethan so I can't give you any pointers, but I'm sure anything to keep her busy will help. Have great time in the other area!!!