Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Our NYC trip...


Last weekend we were in NJ/NYC for 2 1/2 days. This time of year we go to NJ for the Costume Preview Show and while we are in NJ we go into the city for a couple days during our stay. So we left Friday morning and got to our hotel around 1:30, checked in and set out to drive to Hoboken to go into the city for the rest of the day. Hoboken is only like 10 minutes from our hotel and the PATH train station is right there so NYC is only a 10 minute train ride from there.

We got into the city had some lunch, and went to the huge Toys R' Us store in Times Square. I wanted to see what they had for Ni Hao Kai Lan toys. They had a bunch and we got the wooden dragon toy w/ a wooden Kai Lan, and Toli that ride on the dragon. I haven't seen that one before when I was doing my research so we picked it up. We then headed to the MOMA. On Friday nights it's free to get into the MOMA from 4:00-8:00PM. It's normally $20.00 per person. I had been to the MOMA when I was a freshman in High school. Gary had never been before, so we went to the new MOMA together for the first time. We spent the evening with Cezanne, Picasso, Van Gogh, and Matisse, it was extremely busy but a lot of fun. We got a bite to eat after and headed back to the hotel.

Got up early on Saturday after a sleepness night in the hotel-beds were extremely uncomfortable. We were heading to Chelsea Market, Chinatown and Soho. I ended up really not feeling well while in Chinatown/Soho. I started to sweat really bad, and had cold chills, and it was not good. So it took me awhile to get straightened around that morning. WE did have an interesting lunch though. We ate at a place in Soho called Bar 89. Kind of a chic place in Soho. So we ate upstairs and I needed to use the bathroom-what an experience!!

The bathroom was right behind the wall I was sitting in front of so I walked behind the wall, and all of the stalls, had glass doors on them-see through glass doors!!!!!! You could see right into them. So I was a little freaked out and came back out thinking to myself that maybe it's the mens room. There were M's on the floor in front of each stall (room), so I thought M is for Men's. So I asked the waitress where the bathrooms were, and she says no they are right behind the wall where I went. I looked at Gary and said, "They are all see through...", he says, "What do you mean?", I say, "You can see right into each stall!!". So by this time I needed to use the bathroom so I went in...I thought at this point I don't care, when am I ever going to see these people again, I don't care if they see me!! So I go...as soon as I close the door, the door starts to fog up, and then you couldn't see out it-COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then a light shines above on the wall in red that says "Occupied". So we were all good, you couldn't see in or out, but what an experience... I thought because we hadn't been there before and we were"tourists" and not "chic" that we just were out of the loop. But everyone else that went in there also came right back out with a confused look on their face and puzzled and then went back in and figured it out also. So it wasn't just us...lol. :) Also, the M stood for both Men and Women. It just mattered what way you were going into the stall, in-it was an M, out-it was a W...I'm so smart!! :)

The rest of the day we went to the new Apple store in Chelsea, and Gary got a new lap top. I went to Pearl River Market (my favorite Asian shop in the city) and got all the stuff I wanted. New lanterns, and scrolls, and Chinese New Year decorations, a children's book, 2 more tea cups, and cards, and a bunch of stuff. We also walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, we had never done that before, that was neat. I felt better a little after lunch and we went back to the hotel around 6:00-early for us. But we had dinner at Chipotle, one of our favorites, and got dessert from Chili's to go and eat at the hotel. I was asleep by 9:30PM, and slept all the way until 7:00AM the next morning-beds were still too hard!!

Sunday was the preview show, we saw lots of great new costumes for the dance studio and the kids. But after we went back to Hoboken and went to Carlos Bakery-The Cake Boss. If you watch TLC he has his own show and it's a lot of fun. We got 2 cupcakes (mocha, and p/b), 2 really good chocolate/walnut cookies, a neapolitan, and a mini eclair-all really good, and only $10.35 for all of that. The 2 sisters were there, cousin Joey, and the delivery kid they always play pranks on was there too. Gary thought he heard someone ask where Buddy was and they said he wasn't going to come down. But it was fun to go there and it was all delicious!!!

All in all a great weekend. I'm tired though and it always takes me about 3 days to get straightened around from a weekend like that.

We are still waiting with the adoption-what's new!? I think lately I'm in the mad mood with the adoption. Really frustrated, and mad. But I think that's normal in this situation... Can't help how I feel...

Hope your weekend was good!
~Alli

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh -- I'm sitting in my office right now, and your epic bathroom adventure has me cracking the heck up. (I dare my coworkers to judge me!) Too funny ... although I definitely want to experience that place now too. (I'm also drooling over your bakery order, by the by.).
Glad you guys had a good trip!

Gary and Allison said...

Thanks Abby!! I thought everyone would get a charge out of the bathroom excursion.

Miss ya!!
:)