Monday, August 17, 2009

Home from vacation...


So we got back Saturday morning at about 3:00AM. Gary likes to drive through the night, less traffic. I am horrible at trying to stay awake when we drive like that, but did pretty good this time. Friday morning Gary and I did a 30.31 mile bike ride on the Cape Cod Rail Trail. The weather was perfect and I was pretty proud of myself for doing that long of a ride. It's about double of what I've been doing. Burned 1950 calories in 2 hours, that made me feel good!! I've lost some more weight, I had lost 6 more pounds before we went to Cape Cod, and I think I lost a little more while in Cape Cod. I don't snack in Cape Cod, and seem to drink a ton more water while there, I don't know why. All in all the week was good. We didn't really get to the beach that much. Only 2 days. The weather was pretty good, it was dreary 1 day, and rained the next. It's $15.00 per day to go to the beach on the Cape, so you can't go everyday unless you're willing to pay that every day, or you have a house directly on the beach. I would love to rent a house directly on the beach, then we wouldn't have to pay everyday, and it would be right there, we would go a lot more. I missed my Dad's birthday this year while on vacation. We always go in August so I am always missing one of my parents birthdays. Usually it's my Mom's, but this year it was my Dad's.

The cape is great there's always a ton to do, and we have favorite places to go, and find new places every year. We did find a great cupcake place at Mashpee Commons, all gourmet cupcakes. They were great. We love to go to the Lemon Tree Village in Dennis. They have a shop in there that carries one of my favorite artists, Kriten Jongen, her stuff is called My Soul Soup. I'll put the website at the end of the blog, if you've never checked her out you should, very profound, and unique pieces of work. I bought another piece of her artwork this year, we got 3 last year. Her visual art and words really ring true with me. This shop is the only one I've ever been close enough to that you can buy it in the store, and not from her website, I love her work!! So the Lemon Tree Village is a must on our Cape vacation.

Other than that, we just check out new places, and eat out during the day, and spend time together. I think probably Gary and I are the ones who don't play well with others sometimes. I think because we are so busy all the time and on our schedule constantly and believe it or not, for 2 people who don't have children we are constantly busy with other people's children. With the studio and everything that comes with the studio and the other constant jobs that Gary has through photography and websites, and such, we are pretty well stuck in our ways, and it's hard for us to go to someone else's flow, so we're gone a lot during the vacation doing our own thing. It's hard on us every year going on a family vacation and being the couple that doesn't have children, I think we feel like we're in the way sometimes. Nobody makes us feel that way, we just do.

Can't wait to go and have Avery with us finally...

We did get some really nice things for Avery. The piece of artwork we got is for her room. We got a really pretty windchime for her room-windchimes in China are good luck if hung in the proper places-feng shui. We finally got the book, "Motherbridge of Love", illustrated by Josée Masse by Barefoot Books. It's about adoption. I've looked at for awhile, it's hard to find it in bookstores we found 1 copy of it at a book store in Mashpee Commons, not a chain bookstore just a little bookstore in the commons. A placemat for her with name on it, we got the boys ones also. And Aunt Beth & Uncle Steve and the boys usually leave little gifts outside our door in the morning during our vacation for us and Avery. This year it was a cute pink shirt that said Annabelle dance studio on it with a dog in a tutu on Tuesday, a ladybug bath mitt on Wednesday, cute cupcake pj's on Thursday, and a really cute polka dot sundress on Friday. I thank them for those treasures. It does make our day when we get up and there's something on our door or in front of it for Avery. They are so thoughtful!!

This may be our last year of Cape Cod for awhile depending on where the adoption is next year. We may be in our last few months of waiting, or if she is here, we're not sure if she'll be up to being in new surroundings for a week-attachment issues etc. Or, we may be saving like mad for traveling, we don't really know what the next year holds for us.

But we are hoping that we may be holding our Avery...
Hope your Summer is going well, and it's been all you hoped for.
Love to all,
~Alli

Here's the website for the artwork of Kristen Jongen...you should definitely check it out!
www.mysoulsoup.com

No comments: