Saturday, July 18, 2009

Are you a Mother...a Father...



We've had a really busy Summer since I've been back to work, so I haven't found the time to post, but I have a little time this morning. We have lots of news on Avery's room, and pictures of before and the progress we are making. I have lots to talk about from a wedding we just attended last weekend of 2 very precious people to us. I have lots to say about family that has been up for the last 2 weeks-great people and very fun!!, and also what's happening in our families lately. I have lots to say about my work schedule, and how camps are going. I have stuff to comment on like things we have been dong in the community. Gary 's reunion, and other things too. But there is one thing that I will probably comment on in this post then on all the other stuff later this weekend. I've let this "thing" kinda sit for a couple of weeks, and that's probably a little bit why I haven't written anything lately. I've been letting this sit in my mind to sort it out, and I think I was just too mad before that I think it would have come out too mean, so I've let it sit for about 2 weeks, and now it's okay for me to comment on...I think.

We've had a busy Summer so far as I stated, and some things have happened, and some comments made and I think some people just don't know what they are saying, and even though I try to let it roll off my shoulders, here is my outlet, and everything comes out in this blog, and I have to say something or I wouldn't be a good "Mom" to be (you'll get that comment later on in this post):)

I have a question, when does a woman really become a woman, or a Mother? Is it only when she gives birth to a child? Because this is what I thought in my mind. I thought that just because someone gives birth does not make them more of a woman or necessarily make them a Mother. There are things like responsibility, maturity, love, and morals, and a whole realm of things that make a person a good Mother. I've met and seen some people who are "Mothers" and let me tell you, they should not be allowed to have children, and should not be allowed to call themselves a Mother.

As someone who is dying to become a Mom, it has been hard in the last 7 years, and especially the last 2 years to break that Mommy wall. You really can't and I understand that, but it's a club you can't get into to and people snub you until you actually have a child in your hands. I know I can't understand a lot of things because I don't have Avery right here and it's a right of passage to give birth in some people's eyes, so does that mean I will be less of a Mom because she didn't come from my belly? I think as an adoptive parent, I will struggle with this from a lot of people throughout my and Gary's life too. I think that Avery will be our daughter and I will not see the differences that everyone else will see all the time. She is just Avery to us, now and forever.

Someone said to Gary recently, that a woman becomes a woman when she gives birth, and that's when she becomes a Mother. And a man becomes a Father when he holds his child for the first time. That statement has been bothering me for the past 2 weeks. Granted it came from an 18 year old. But it did come from a friend. I have been trying to let it roll, let it roll, and for my sake and Gary's sake and for our daughter's sake-I can't. Avery is our daughter, she will be born this Summer, or already is born. God had specifically picked her out for us, he has picked us as her parents. We have had 2 years to prepare for her, mentally, physically, made our house a home, and already we have given her so much love, even though she's not here. This journey of parenthood that we are on was chosen for us, meant to be. The statement about when a man is a Father, and a woman a Mother is complete &*$%#!!!!!!!

I think I'm still processing these comments and I think my attitude of what is acceptable to say to us and what is not has completely changed with these comments. Since our news of getting through review, and on into the matching room, my confidence is up, and I feel like a new person. As if to say, "There!! Those of you who didn't think this was ever going to happen, take that, progress, finally, you happy now?"

There has been a lot said over the years about us not having kids. Comments like, "Well, if you were serious about it you would be doing something about it". People just don't understand the harshness of those words sometimes, especially when they don't know any background on us. But people that do know the background still make those comments.

We are good people, making a home for a little girl. Not just a "home", but a home in our hearts, and surrounding her with people and family that love her, and love her already. How fortunate Avery is and will be that for 2 1/2 years almost 3 years so many people have been waiting for her. Have already made room in their hearts for her. In my mind Gary and I are already parents of a little girl. You can agree or disagree, that's up to you, but we aren't going to listen anymore to the nay-sayers.

A little brown eyed girl with black hair has been born halfway around the world and she belongs to us. Somehow our hearts have already met, and are sewn together through love and hope. She will light up our days, and rule our world. We will be her parents even though she has been born in our hearts and not in my belly...she is our Avery. Whether you think her mystical right now or not, she is real to us...I feel that, she is out there and everyday my heart grows bigger and China grows closer.

We are coming to get you Avery...Mommy & Daddy are coming to get you.

Love to all~
~Alli

7 comments:

Christa Bertram said...

OK...I'm adding to you rant...
As a mother of step children, biological children, and an adopted child I can say there is no difference in the way I am a "MOTHER" to any of them. The comment you heard is like saying you are not a mother when a child is in your belly. Is he saying that a woman who has lost a child by miscarriage has never been a mother? Once you start the adoption process you are "pregnant" and therefore a mother (or father).
Alli, you are going to hear so many comments, so many. You just need to realize that the people who say them are unaware or uneducated or just have not thought out what they are saying. You have every right to be upset about these comments and voice you opinion, but sad to say the comments aren't going to stop. So, for your own piece of mind you will need to make a choice as to how much you let what other people say effect you. You can choose to be upset or choose to let out your frustrations here and then feel sorry for the peoson who made the comment because they just don't understand the joy and love Avery is to all of us, her PARENTS and the people who are waiting to be a part of her extended family and friends.
I will say a prayer for the 18 year old that he is never in the situation you are in where he wants a child so badly and is working so hard to become a parent and then someone gives him a comment like the one he gave to Gary.
Here's to you not getting any more negative comments....but we both know it's not going to happen.
Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Alli,
Well said. Sometimes I feel like a mother, too even though I have not given birth. It takes a lot of people to raise 14 brothers and sisters-some with mental issues and have been abused. Even Casie sometimes indicates that she wonders if this is what it is like being a mother. I tell her yes because she is nurturing, caring, loving. It is wonderful to see the kind of care that she gives.

I know that you and Gary have been waiting a long time-probably more than any of us know, but just know that we are behind you 110%. Just think a baby shower should be coming along shortly for your daughter, Avery Lin, a girl that has kissed the souls of many without having met them.

Can't wait to see the nursery.

Sending love and prayers your way,

Heather

Gary and Allison said...

Thank you Heather!!! Thank you for your support and always leaving a comment. It makes me feel great when I know family and friends are reading this and are listening to me rant and rave. Love ya!!:)

Thank you Christa!! Sad thing is the 18 year old was a girl, she should have known better than to say what she did. Thank God I have this blog, or I would go nuts!! Thank you for always being my sounding board about these things and being someone that understands, I have to vent out these feelings somewhere. I do feel sorry for the individual, and I know they are miss informed and that there are other factors to the story. I am so sensitive about this issue of Motherhood, that it makes me crazy sometimes. Thank you for listening and guiding!!!!

Love ya,
~AlliNewt

KatieKatie said...

Alli and Gary,

It makes me so angry when I hear about these comments made about the adoption and you not being the same "mother" as someone who gave birth. You both have been through so much with the waiting and the wishing for everything and that takes it's toll on your hearts . You shouldn't have to deal with ignorance. You have always been a mother and father,and now best friends for me. I know that you will be the best Mama and Baba. No matter where she came from, she has always been yours. Avery is your little girl and she's coming home soon.

I love you both

Gary and Allison said...

Love you too Katie!!:)

Anonymous said...

Alli,

I've been thinking about this comment, and I just can't believe it. I hope that she reads this. My parents adopted a girl, who was abused-severly by her birth mother, birth father, and birth mother's boyfriend. A couple of weeks ago she turned sixteen. Her "adoptive" mother got up at 4:45 a.m. to make her chocolate chip pancakes-her favorite and hot cocoa for breakfast, as she leaves at 6:00 a.m. for her summer job. When she got home, her "adoptive" mother took her to the DMV, and she passed her permit test. All of us went out to dinner, and then back home for a family birthday party.

What did her "biological" mother do for her? No Card, No Gift, No acknowledgement of any kind. She called her biological mother, and she actually told her that she forgot her birthday. Who was there to console her-that's right her MOTHER. I hope she reads this, and I am sure if you ask my sister she will tell you who her mother is-without hesitation.

There I've said my peace!!

Love, Heather

Gary and Allison said...

I totally agree Heather!!

Love ya,
~Alli