Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Acts of kindness...

I never post mid week, but I've been watching the series on the Today show this week about is civility dead, and wanted to share some random acts of kindness I've been witnessed to as a new Mom.

I do believe that civility is a little dead, with all the reality shows, and the political scenery recently. I do believe that children are different these days. Not all children are taught to say please or thank you, and I do believe that a lot of children expect things, and think they don't have to work for them. I have been witness to that in my job everyday. Very rarely do I get a thank you when handing out stickers, or candy, it's extremely frustrating being a teacher in this day and age. I have been behind a person who doesn't hold the door for you, and been by the person who doesn't see the line and cuts ahead of 5 people. It's just frustrating. I always hold the door, and let people ahead of me in line when they only have a couple of things, and I have a ton...

But last Friday Avery and I had a ton of errands to do, Friday is my day off so most of the running around gets saved for Fridays. Usually we try to keep the outings to 3 stops total. That's usually the most Avery can handle getting in and out of the car seat-can't blame her. But we had 6 stops last Friday.We stopped to have a little something at Panera Bread, when we were at Panera and our lunch/breakfast was ready to be picked up at the counter, I had my hands full with Avery, and my purse, and my drink, and said I would be back for it, and the man behind the counter picked up our food, and carried it to our table for us...so appreciated!!! He also said if we needed anything else please just ask-so nice!

Then in the same day as we were coming out of Sam's Club, it was pouring and we got our stuff in the car and I was taking the cart back, with Avery in my arms, but the cart rack was at the other end of the parking lot, a woman came over and asked if she could take it back for me, she said my arms were already full-so appreciated!!

Then there is our nephew Noah, who when we went trick or treating collected canned goods for our local Rhode Center, instead of all the candy-right on!!  :)

So I think civility isn't completely dead, but we all need to work on it more. Help eachother out when needed, and teach our children to say please and thank you, and to put others first, and think about people's feelings  a lot more, and always use our manners no matter what!!

I know we will teach Avery to use her manners, it is all by example. Us as parents are the examples that our children follow and learn from daily, so we must show them the way and teach them compassion, and to be thoughtful, and good people!

Just my thought for the day!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I couldn't agree more, and good for Noah-very impressive.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the thoughts and you are so right.At a gas station this morning I saw a person let the door shut right in front of a person who had cases of drinks on a cart. Looked right at him and let the door shut.
Thanks for the reminder we can do more.
Good job, Noah
Liz

Anonymous said...

It definitely has to come from the parents. We are their models! I can't figure out what is wrong with people anymore. Its all about them. Noah, you rock!!
-EMayne

Unknown said...

No kidding about the students! At SLU we called it the age of entitlement!