Saturday, August 9, 2008

Lucky numbers in Chinese



I actually wrote this blog on 8/8/08. Then thought I lost it but it posted to Avery's quilt blog by mistake. So today I found it there and moved it to this site. So it sounds like I wrote it yesterday...because I did. Enjoy!!

With the Olympics being in Beijing this year and the official start of the Olympics being on 08/08/08. There has been a ton of talk about the significance of those numbers and also the significance of other numbers in Chinese, So, I did some digging and found it all really interesting and though I would pass it on.

In Chinese culture they consider some numbers auspicious and some other numbers inauspicious. That's based on the Chinese word that the number sounds similar to. Lucky numbers are 8, 6, 9, being the luckiest. 1, 2, 3, 5, & 7 are considered good numbers also. The number 4 is considered bad luck because the word it sounds closest too in Chinese means death. Below I put the meanings of the numbers 1-9.

1- Unity
2- Considered good because good things come in pair, and things such as the chinese character double happiness etc.
3- Life
4- Unlucky because it sounds like the word death.
5- The five elements-metal, wood, water, life, earth.
6- Flowing or smooth-"Everything goes smoothly"
7- Togetherness
8- Wealth, prosperity, good fortune, very lucky if more than one in a combination.
9- Longlasting

Just to represent some numbers in our family:
My Dad's Birthday is August 8th-8/08
My Mom's Birthday is August 18th-8/18
Owen's Birthday is February 8th.
Another 8 is our Anniversary is the 18th of May.

For 6's & 9's:
Alli's Birthday is September 6th-9/6
Beth's Birthday is October 6th
Gary's Birthday is December 19th
Judy's Birthday is October 19th

There are other's but I listed just a few to see how lucky we are according to Chinese numerology.

Just thought it was really neat to look it all up and also to learn some more about Chinese culture. Who knows Maybe Avery will have an 8 in her birthday. Or our referral date will have an 8 in it, or our travel plans.

I wanted to say Happy Birthday to my Dad-

Have fun watching the opening ceremonies tonight and the Olympics. Think of us while you watch!!!


Love to all~
~Alli

No comments: