Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Thoughts...

So lately the time frame of the waiting has really been setting in. As many times as we hear people say, "It'll be worth the wait", or "it'll go fast", it really doesn't make it any easier. We appreciate the kind words and believe us we know that she will be worth the wait...but that doesn't mean that the waiting isn't hard. Sometimes you feel like people don't want to discuss the adoption because it is so far away. But, what they don't know is that it is far away for them but it's on our minds everyday.

I believe people should start a family when they feel they are ready. For Gary and myself that time is now. It may not be when other people thought it should be, or that we were never serious about having children. I think Gary & I knew that when the time came for us to start a family we wouldn't do it the traditional way. Even in all those years of trying to conceive the traditional way, adoption was never out of the question. With the number of children I have taught over the years and the number of those kids Gary has had an impact on also, it seems fitting that we are going to adopt and save a life of a child in need.

I always wonder about that connection a Mother has to her child when you carry them for 9 months, will that have an impact on us. What about the love I feel for a child that I haven't met yet...I've met her in my mind. What about the 18+ months it will take to get to her, that must be the same as carrying her on some level. As a woman who is in her 30's you do not feel as competent when surrounded by other family members or people that have children. You are treated differently all the time, as if you were still in your 20's and haven't experienced life yet. That is so untrue, I think that when you are faced with disappointments, and hardships, and successes, that also makes you competent at life.

I can't wait to be a Mom, and I know Gary can't wait to be a Dad. So what's wrong with starting later than other people...nothing. It doesn't mean we aren't serious about a family. And just because Avery is still 12+ months away from us doesn't mean we shouldn't start the nursery, or buy her things, and pick out a crib set and be able to enjoy this wait...this long wait. Even though we can't see her yet doesn't mean she's not around us on some level, we get signs all the time. Even though the signs may not mean anything to anyone else doesn't mean they are to be dismissed, it just means they are meant for us and no one else.

So there are my thoughts as of late. I can't vent to anyone but Gary about all of this, so I'm going to start writing my thoughts here, hoping to encourage more people to leave comments and thoughts. We need the support some days, or even just a hello.

Have a good day!!!

~Alli

5 comments:

heather said...

Gary & Alli

heather said...

Gary & Alli,
As someone who has experienced adoption, albeit on a different level than yours, we do understand and can appreciate the anxiety that goes along with it.
Just remember that although you have 12+ months of wait left, you will be able to hold YOUR baby, care for her, and she will change your world in ways that you can only imagine.
Alli, you may not have given birth to Avery, but there is no doubt in my mind that you will make an outstanding mother-you are motherish-esp. w/Casie during dance classes that she loved.
My only advise is that when you are feeling anxious go out on the back deck, gaze upon Avery's star, and imagine your life next year.
Go ahead start your nursery, buy the furniture, clothes, toys-it will ease the wait, and don't listen to the negative comments-people just don't realize that adoption is actually SAVING a child's life.
All the best, Heather

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary and Allison,
I was on youtube yesterday and saw some adoption documentaries/stories of families getting baby girls from China and I thought of you guys. I enjoy reading your posts and thoughts.I am very excited for you guys. Mary Yoder

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary & Alli,

Just wanted to say hi and to let you know we never stop thinking of you. I can't imagine how hard it is to go through this waiting period. I am very proud of you two and your decision to go through this adoption. I told you a long time ago I felt God's plan was for you two to adopt....you are very special in God's eyes and He has chosen you to be the parents of children who would otherwise never experience the joy of having a mother and father to love and to be loved. I believe it is very appropriate and natural for you to already feel the love for a child you haven't met yet....just as it would if you were physically carrying her. Don't waste your energy or worry about what other people think or say!!! You do exactly what feels right to you...go ahead and get the nursery ready; buy her clothes, toys, etc. and you'll touch, fold and refold and play with everything a hundred times before she gets here, just as you would do if you were waiting 9 months for the baby. Avery is very lucky to have you and Gary as her parents.
My thoughts and prayers are with you daily....love you, Aunt Cathy

Anonymous said...

Gary & Alli,

It doesn't matter how long you have waited or how old you are....all that matters is that you two are going to be the BEST parents ever :) You are doing such an amazing thing, and I really look up to the both of you! All of the things that you got for Avery Lin for Christmas, and all of her gifts from family members sound amazing! The work on the house sounds great too! Can't wait to see it!

I miss you both lots and lots! Hope to catch up with you soon! Miss and love you!

-Hayley :)