Wednesday, January 19, 2011

6 months ago today we met this little face...

6 months ago today we were in China and met our daughter Avery Lin Xuan Newton for the first time in person. We had been looking at her picture for 3 months and the thought of finally meeting her and becoming a family was so overwhelming!! We were very anxious and very nervous, so excited words don't even begin to describe it. 

I remember walking into the civil affairs office, not really knowing what to expect. I remember turning the corner into the room and seeing her and starting to cry. She was so teeny tiny and beautiful!! I remember wanting to go scoop her right up, but we had to do paperwork first, and I remember thinking, "Are you serious?, you want us to do paperwork when our daughter is standing right there?" Her face was so sweet, and she looked so scared, but welcoming to us. I remember picking her up for the first time, and feeling so complete, and an instant connection with her. I remember looking into those eyes, and falling even more in love with her. 

I remember riding in the car back to the hotel, and saying to Gary, "That's it?, she's ours now, we are a family?! I couldn't believe it!  I remember her falling asleep in my arms in the car on the way back to the hotel, and what she felt like in my arms from that first moment.  Even though she looked scared, and didn't really know what was going on, she was very secure in our arms and on some level I think she knew that.

I look into those big eyes everyday and am so very thankful that we are a family. Avery is a happy girl, and we are a happy, happy family!! 

6 months ago our lives changed for the, oh so much better!! She has enriched our lives, and taught us so much about love and life and laughter. Our house is filled with so much love, continuous laughter, and our lives are FULL!!

To hear the words Mama and Dada, and those little pitter patters-What A Joy!! A True Blessing!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

:):):) So awesome!!!!!!! really don't have any words for the joy I feel for you guys.Just so happy for you!!

Anonymous said...

So hard to say who is luckier...you or her!! You all have been blessed. Nothing better than family! I continue to enjoy the pictures and updates! Brings sunshine to my day too!
-EMayne

Christa Bertram said...

My eyes were watering as I read your words. We are so happy for you all. Having a family changes everything...for the better.

Gary and Allison said...

So true So true!!

It's been 6 months but in one way it feels like she's always been with us, and in another way it feels as if it was just yesterday we were in China!!

What a Joy!!

~Alli :)