Monday, September 24, 2007

Our 1st Mid-Autumn Moon Festival Dinner

We went to our first Moon Festival Dinner yesterday evening in Watertown at the China Buffet. I was really nervous because the only people we knew were the one family we just met a couple of weeks ago and the other I only emailed saying we would attend the dinner. You know me I'm quiet around people I don't know and have the tendency to only talk when questioned. But we felt we should go and meet people that have been through what we are doing and could give us some insight and hope and see that there is an outcome that is so worth the wait.

We arrived on time and actually at the same time as the family we knew. So Kelly took us in and started to introduce us to different people. They were so nice and inviting, and had us sit right down at their table and made us feel very comfortable right off. There were so many children there, many dressed in Chinese dresses and outfits they were all very adorable.

As soon as we entered and Kelly introduced us some people knew Judy (the cake lady) and that started up the conversations also. Some people recognized me from working at SJ with the Dance Company, there are a lot of teachers at SJ that have adopted from China (there are 3 that I know of). They all asked about our DTC and LID dates, I was so overwhelmed I had to ask Gary what our LID date was, I knew it, it is ingrained in my mind but I was nervous and couldn't think of it (what a dope).

They asked what agency and we were through and how long the wait was now (18-22 months now). A lot of them said their wait was 12 months when they went and could really understand the frustrations Gary and I feel all the time.

They all had stories about their travels to China and some of them had traveled together and some have met through get togethers. I asked how the children were physically when they received them and how the orphanages were and they all had positive things to say. They gave us great travel tips and what to not do in China and told us where they went while they were there. They all said how well taken care of the children were in the orphanages, and even though the orphanages look way under staffed you could tell the women there took really good care of the babies.

I asked how far in advance of going to China they started setting up their nurseries. The one great piece of advice given was, "whenever you are ready to do so". They all said it is like you are pregnant for 18-22 months, and you have to do that stuff because it helps the time go quicker and they said, "we're giving you permission to shop for her and to do all the stuff you want to do". That made me feel GREAT!!!!

I get looks from people when I pick something up for Avery. Some people think it's weird we call her by name even though we haven't met her yet. When I talk about the nursery or anything like that sometimes I get the look like, "why are you doing this now, you aren't going to get her for another 16 months". I get so frustrated with people, and it was great to be with other Moms and Dads that know what I am talking about, and REALLY understand.

Watching the children yesterday was great. There were babies and toddlers and I think the oldest was 9. What a future we have to look forward to. They were all so beautiful!!

I am so glad we went, we were the only family there in the waiting process, but we met some really great people and made some great friends.

The next get together for this group is the Chinese New Year in January. But a lot of the Moms said to call them or email them if we have questions or if we just want to talk. What a nice group of people they all were.

Our next function is with our adoption agency in October to meet the other waiting families. We are looking forward to that also.

Keep an eye out on the 26th of September and look at the moon- that's when it's supposed to be the fullest.

My fortune at the end of the Moon Festival Dinner from my fortune cookie was this...
"Time heals most everything...Give it time, time". Everyone at the table and Gary and I all thought it was appropriate.

Love to everyone~
Alli & Gary

1 comment:

Christa Bertram said...

I'm so glad you were able to meet with the other families. I love to listen to the stories my friends with babies from China tell, I can only imagine how wonderful it must be when you are in the process yourself. Good luck!